Thursday, April 26, 2012

I Am The Mother....

I am the mother of a child with Type 1 Diabetes. I don’t know what it’s like to go to sleep at night and know for certain my child with Type 1 Diabetes will wake in the morning. I don’t know what it’s like to sleep the whole night through without waking up to do blood tests on my sleeping child and be ready to treat at whatever number I get. I don’t know what it’s like to prepare a meal without a calculator, food scale and measuring cups. I don’t know what it’s like to drop my child off at school and know that someone will constantly look after her with compassion. I don't know what it's like to let my child go outside without making sure her blood sugars are high enough so nothing will happen to her & to always watch her out the window the whole time. I do know what it’s like to force feed sugar in the middle of the day or night, knowing I am sacrificing my child’s teeth to save her life. I do know what it’s like to draw up insulin and/or fill up an insulin pump at 3 a.m. and praying that I’m not too sleepy to make a fatal error in judgement, technique or calculation. I do Know what it’s like to sit on the couch holding my sobbing child, explaining to him, “No, we CAN’T take a break just this one time!,“ while I dose him with his needle for the high or for a snack. I do know what it’s like to walk away from the pharmacy counter with an armload of supplies and realize that I’ve just gone through another box of 100 blood sugar strips & 2 vials of insulin. I do know what it’s like to help my child march bravely past the cookies, cakes and cotton candy aisle at the grocery store when his blood sugar is too high. I do know what it’s like to look into my child's eyes and tell him, he has a “THUS FAR“ incurable disease and explain to him what that means. And that I will always be here to handle this with him as long as he needs me to. I do know what it’s like to LOVE and CHERISH my child every minute of every day. I am the mother of a child with Type 1 Diabetes ~ Praying so badly for a CURE for Type 1 Diabetes! But for now, Hudson is in God's hands & God's protection daily... Re-posted & Re-edited.

No comments: