Wednesday, February 29, 2012

End of the Season

Hudson has found something he LOVES to play.. SOCCER!! This past winter, we put him in the parent and tot indoor soccer 45 minutes away from home.  I know he could have played just the regular u4 but I wanted to see how his body would react to playing and if it effected his numbers alot, if any.  It is a long ways to run from the 2nd story bleachers to the field if he would have  collapsed..  I know he WOULDN'T have since we do check him and give him a snack before going out on the field.. it was just his first time and I would rather play it safe than worry the whole time :)  He did AMAZING!! I think he found something he loves to do and is great at, even at the age of 4.. He scored at least 1 goal per game and learnt a ton of great skills.  Teamwork, learning to listen and to play together is a few other great things that came out of playing and starting soccer at such a young age.  Being so involved in sports and activities is something that we are trying to model for our children, not just Hudson, although it will greatly help him stay healthy and help him in the long run.  We want our children to grow up, healthy, happy, strong and proud of all they have accomplished.  I think some of it is rubbing off already on Hudson.  He had a low the other day and I was trying to give him something that would act fast to bring him back up to a normal level so, as I was unwrapping some leftover Valentine Chocolate, he looked up at me and said " No Mommy, that is not healthy for me" and proceeded to grab an apple!!!  I know that apples wont act as fast in brining up his levels and if his number was at more of an emergency level I would have given him both the chocolate and the apple, but I let him much away, smiling 
Again, the other day while Tenley was napping, during our relaxing and cuddle time, Hudson was playing quietly on the floor while I was watching some sort of cooking show.  She was talking about the benefits of eating beans and happened to mention that it helps in regulating and keeping blood sugar levels consistant for diabetics.  Thats when his little ears perked up and he said " Mommy, we need to go buy beans! I have diabetes and that lady said they are good for me!" so the next day, I ran out and bought some beans :)  He used to LOVE eating them when he was a baby.. so we will see how he does now that he is the one saying that he wants to eat them.  Right now, Chili is simmering and Chewy Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies are baking, and ready for a yummy supper tonight :)
I am continually amazed at the strength of my little boy.  I am in awe of his understanding of his diabetes, or what he notices in himself when he isnt feeling good ( low) 
No limits will be set for this little guy.  The sky is the limit for what he is capable of.  His disease does not control his life or define who he is, it explains more of why he needs to do the things he does. He can do anything he sets his mind to, just a bit more cautiously and a bit more aware of his body than other kids.  This month, he wants to be an Ambulance Driver to help sick people feel better and get to the doctor faster.  I cant help but smile, knowing that he is more than able to do that and touch many lives that he encounters.. but the Diabetic mommy in me was secretly half relieved, and half overjoyed knowing that if he DID become an EMT, that he would be around MANY people who are trained to help him if something happened.  Those around him would understand if he needed to sit, or have a quick snack.. AND he is in a vehicle that not only saves lives but is full of equipment that could help him if he needed it :)    PLUS he thinks its cool that he can go so fast in the ambulance with the sirens on and lights flashing, and the police cant stop him because its an emergency ! haha.. what a guy.
gymnastics!!!!  
GO RED DRAGONS!!!! - U4 indoor soccer

The Cutie With His First Ever Medal!

Hudson needed glasses!  He looks adorable in them!! ( not diabetes related!)


No comments: