Friday, December 2, 2011

A CURE!!!! For a Tummy Ache at least :)

A few weeks ago Hudson woke up feeling so sick to his lil tummy.  After having flu like symptoms all morning I decided to run and grab him some ginger ale, hoping that that would at least stay down long enough to boost his numbers a bit..  While on my way to the store, I kept thinking about when I was pregnant with him, and when I felt sick to my stomach something that always helped me feel better was either a coke slurpee or peppermint tea.. And since they dont make diet coke slurpees, my mind kept going back to peppermint tea.. I knew that since Hudson could barely keep down water that a nice warm tea might not stay in as well either.  I kept thinking about all this as I walked into Walmart and sped walked to the gingerale, grabbing both diet and regular just in case:) one for if his numbers were higher and one for if his numbers were lower, to be on the safe side... since I was not the most attractive person that morning slinking around the aisles, I didn't want to have to venture out again that day.  As I was rushing to the check out my eye caught a display of Christmas candies... and there.. were the mini candy canes.. peppermint ones.. I started to get all excited as I ran to check the labels, thinking maybe these would work!!!  4g of carb for one mini candy cane!! EXCELLENT.. and they were peppermint, meaning that they would also calm an upset tummy..I grabbed a few packs so that I could stalk up "just in case"  and bee lined it for the check out.  I learnt the hard way last year when Hudson was sick ( about the time when his pancreas was shutting down due to the flu) we had no gravol anywhere in the house.. and to make matters worse.. it was BLIZZARDING outside.. I am so thankful for being in a small town where friends live close because a friend of mine braved the weather and delivered me her last bit or chewable gravol for Hudson which made him so much better!!  I didn't want to be without again..so I learnt to stalk up "just in case"  
After getting home, a groggy lil Hudson's eyes showed a tiny glint of a sparkle as I unwrapped a mini candy cane and let him eat it.. IN MY BED!!! a 3 year old + a candy cane = a mess of sticky fingers all over my blankets.. but at least it was staying down.. and now he was able to get some fluid into his lil body which instantly perked him right up and flushed those LARGE ketones right out so that within 2 hours those pesky ketones were gone and Hudson was happily playing Angry Birds yet again!! THANK GOD FOR CANDY CANES :)!!!!
This Diabetes Mommy's "Cure" for an upset Tummy:

1 Case of DIET Ginger Ale and Regular Ginger Ale

BOXES of Mini Candy Canes ( peppermint at 4g of carb each)



No comments: