Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mommy DID go on Vacation!!!!

It was our anniversary.. and honestly, I wasn't expecting alot.. just the usual.. Dinner, Movie and MAYBE some Lemon Freckle Lotion.  I never expected that my husband would take me on a small trip!!  I had secretly come to terms that I would not be able to get away overnight from my kids in a while...  But we did!!! And I am so grateful to my mom for taking the time.. and responsibility of looking after my precious chicklets for a whole 24 hours!
I felt calm.. and yes, I will say it.. secretly grateful that my husband talked me into getting my own iphone ( which I have fallen in love with.. but dont tell him I actually love my white beautiful iphone!)  It was nice not to have to worry... we ate at unheard of hours that would have caused me to panic if the kids were with us.. we stayed up late... went to a movie... and even slept in! TILL 9AM!
Rene took me back to where we had our honeymoon.  A place that calms me, relaxes me.. and isnt far from home! BANFF!!!
Between the texting of Hudson's numbers and us sending my mom back how much insulin to give him, we were at ease and able to just hang out and enjoy ourselves!
The whole time though I kept thinking to myself as I looked over the menu of our favorite dinner location which looks over the town of Banff and out to the majestic peaks... how many carbs are in this chicken cesear  salad???  I can't believe how many carbs THOSE people with 2 baskets of nachos are eating! ... I know my brain was  SUPPOSED to shut off... but how do you shut off something that you have trained it to do automatically?!  So I researched the carb content of a cesear salad on my phone as I waited for our order to be brought up.  Again, I found myself as I was hiking up to Bow Falls ... thinking to myself.. I should have brought more of a snack.. how fast will this hike burn off the carbs I ate???  and so, before we walked up to the falls, we bought icecream :)  I dont know about other parents, but we find ourselves talking as if we too, have diabetes, and in a sense we kind of do.  We dont take insulin but we are more aware of activity to snack ratios... the carb content in what we eat.. we are aware when we ourselves are feeling "low" ... I hope we aren't going insane by this new diagnosis.. maybe other parents act like this.. if not, I am sure Hudson will be even more embarrassed of us when he is old enough to be embarrassed by the mere sight of us, let alone hearing us say "I feel low, did you bring a snack??" or "I think I just ate like 20g of carbs as a snack!"  I can just see and feel the eye rolls from him now!
I know that vacations like this will be few and far in between but I am so glad we got to go.  So grateful that I was able to give up control for a whole day and know that the life of my son was in good hands!







No comments: