Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Crazy Carb Lady

"They" say it takes on average 66 days to form a new habit, and now without thinking I find myself doing something that I never would have second guessed 6 months ago.  I find myself counting carbs in my head on absolutley anything I take out of my fridge or pantry.  Without thinking I turn a box to look at the nutrition label as I feed babies in the church nursery their animal crackers, not because I want to honestly know how many carbs these kids are having, but just because it is something I am so used to doing that my first instinct now is to turn the box and scroll down until I see the word "carbs"
I found myself, yet again counting meaningless carbs in my head as Tenley and I sat down for a quiet breakfast this morning before the boys were awake.  I kept giving my sweet baby girl handfuls of Cheerios at first not even thinking about it, and by the time the second and third handfuls were gone off of her white plastic ikea highchair tray, I began to sum up in my head the amount I had given her and my eyes wandered over to the cheerio box sitting on her highchair tray.  1/2 a cup I told myself as my brain calculated for no reason at all the carb content in a 1/2 a cup of Cheerios.  I caught myself praying to God that her pancreas kicks in to cover her carb intake.  Weird I know.  But now, living with a child who has diabetes for the last 6 months, you wonder, you hope, you pray that your next child will be healthy and that their body functions normally.  So, yes, Tenley had 10g of carbs this morning :)  I can't believe how our lives have changed so drastically since our 3 year olds diagnosis.  Its funny how something that never crossed your mind has now become an every day habit.  Somedays when we are at the park, at a resteraunt or just having people over I can't help myself.  I begin to calculate the carbs people are eating for no reason. No reason at all.  Maybe its my mind practicing.  Maybe it has just become habit just like brushing your teeth is, or maybe I am going diabetic crazy!!!!!  I remember sitting in the Peds Ward's play room with our new dietician as she went over carb counting and how to do it, how to read labels and how to figure out carb content in different foods and how to break down the ingredients.  She told us that in a year all this would become a habit, that it would be such a natural thing for us to do.  We wouldn't need our trusty "Calorie King" book, but that we could just recite the carb content for an aray of food without thinking twice!!! Well, Tracy would be proud to know that we have mastered alot of the carb counting in 6 months!!!!

2 comments:

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

It happens at our house too!
My nephew told me yesterday I should have been a math teacher...

Unknown said...

Totally relate! I catch myself counting carbs for my other kiddos too!

And, sometimes, I'll see a challenge somewhere -- like on a plate passing by at a restaurant...yup...gotta take a guess!