Wednesday, January 11, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY INSULIN!!!!



‎"90 years ago today, on the 11th of January 1922, 14 year old Leonard Thompson lay dying in a hospital in Toronto. He had type 1 diabetes, which in those days was an inevitable death sentence. He was the first human to be given an injection of the experimental substance that came to be known as insulin. The first extract was impure and caused a massive allergic reaction, but after 12 days a way h......ad been found to purify this truly miraculous substance. The wonderful men who discovered insulin sold their patent to the University of Toronto for one Canadian Dollar. Without that incredibly unselfish act, modern insulins and treatments would be years behind where they are now.

I and many of my friends owe our childrens lives to insulin. What greater gift can you be given than that? Thank you Mcleod, Collip, and especially Best, but most of all Frederick Banting. Happy Birthday insulin."

I cant imagine facing the fear of my little boy being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 89 years ago, knowing that it was a death sentence!!   I am thankful every single day for the life of my little boy.  I do not take for granted any moment.  I love to sit and watch him play quietly with his cars, score goals on the soccer field, to hear his stories, to hear his thoughts, and to watch him breathe while he sleeps, knowing that the miracle medicine is flowing in him and allows me to see him for yet another day!  I am grateful to these Canadians who invented the substance that allows my son to live a full and healthy life. I am honored to be able to watch him as he grows into a strong, healthy, happy, silly, and gentle little boy.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY INSULIN!!!  

No comments: